Yoga be the sea. Ahhhh…. how relaxing is that? The ambience between the ocean’s lapping waves, the breeze, the salty air kissing your skin on the “Edge of America”…
Wow. I think I just got all gushy about my own job! Ha! It really is such an amazing treat to be able to teach on the sand on Folly Beach. Every time I walk toward the beach I get that some giddiness I did when I was a kid.
Here are a few quick tips for our public (and private) yoga classes on the beach:
- Please use the restroom before you get to the beach! The 5th Street East beach access does not have a public restroom.
- We recommend bringing a towel or two for the beach. Though you may enjoy layering and putting the yoga mat on top, the towel’s texture really works better on the sand.
- Please bring plenty of water and arrive fully hydrated.
- Apply sunscreen before the class.–and if you forget to apply it don’t be shy about asking others to borrow some.
- If at any time you feel lightheaded or unwell, take a rest. The sun’s rays are much more intense with the reflection from the ocean and sand.
- Feel free to wear your swimsuit under or as your yoga wear on the beach. if you’re comfortable practicing in it. You will often find our teachers heading out to surf or swim after (and sometimes before!) the class
- Updates for weather on all of our outdoor yoga classes will be posted on our Facebook page. This is the quickest way for us to get information out as the weather does sometimes rapidly change on the island.